Saturday, April 10, 2010

Inadequacy

So I led my cell group in a short study of 2 Peter 1:1-11. It's such an amazingly written piece of Scripture (and which part of Scripture isn't?!) that packs so much encouragement for believers in such a short passage. I was so utterly amazed by my recent reading of it that... I was bursting at the seams - I wanted so badly to share this piece of incredible encouragement with everyone. So I started with the cell.

And I came away from it somewhat disappointed and with a sense of shame. Not with Scripture, for it is sufficient (Ps 19:7-11), but with myself because I have failed to handle the Word properly (2 Tim 2:15). I believe I could have done more to bring out the tremendous encouragements and truths from the passage but I fell short. Especially in the area where the Apostle writes about "these things" (2 Peter 1:5-7), I ought to have spent more time studying the various items and expanded upon them some more. There is no excuse for missing the obvious emphasis the Apostle placed on "these things" for he clearly stresses, reminds and advises his reader about them.

There are still more things that I have found lacking... but there's no need to speak of all of them now. What I must do now, is to make sure that the duty entrusted to me, to lead the cell through the first chapter of 2 Peter, does not go unfulfilled. I can only thank God that He has laid it on my heart to strive for a respectable handling of His precious Word.

2 comments: