Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Alternative Spiritual Diet

Recently, things have been too hectic with 2 things taking up all my spare time.
  • My final year project at UniSIM 
  • Vacation Bible School 2010 planning
There isn't much for the VBS 2010 planning but the FYP is really taking it's toil on me. Right now, I'm about done with the programming aspect of things and I'm looking forward to starting on the report section. The report is going to be 65 - 80 pages long and I'm giving myself 1.5 months to finish it up. It's going to be one wild ride but God-willing, the FYP will be completed by Nov 15.

Then I can focus on VBS 2010 and  blog regularly again.

The time-drain from my FYP has been so bad that I'm struggled to maintain my spiritual intake. Blogging was a form of spiritual sustenance, I liken it to an energy bar, because it enabled me to focus and meditate on Scripture and Biblical concepts/ideas in an especially intense manner. Now, in the absence of blogging time, I was faced a void - no more high powered spiritual energy bars, except on Sundays.

This did not sit well with me as I yearned for more of the Word.

Thank God for the iPhone... and podcasts... and long bus rides.

There are several excellent podcasts available, containing sermons and bible studies. The hour-long sermons were not too practical for my needs but thank God, RC Sproul has podcasts packaged in roughly 20-minute segments. And due to RC's methodical approach, the podcasts are meaningfully segmented - no sermons were abruptly truncated mid-point. And we all know that RC Sproul is a thoroughly biblical and talented expositor of Scripture.

In addition to RC Sproul, there's also John MacArthur's Grace To You podcasts which are also nicely segmented into manageable (for a bus ride at least!) lengths. 

Another terrific source of excellent soul food can be found in this blog here: http://teampyro.blogspot.com/
The Pyromaniacs, consisting of Phil Johnson, Dan Philips and Frank Turk, are a formidable group of biblically minded men who (frequently) post mind-boggling, soul-searching, gut-wrenching, heart-stopping posts. They are well-read. They are spiritual matured. They are discerning. They are hilarious.
Every day I tell you... almost everyday, there's a new post, ready for your spiritual consumption and I tell you, what a feast.
Oh, not only are the posts rich in spiritual content, the comments are often worth the while to browse through as it is akin to engaging in edifying debate.


So there - 2 alternatives to blogging for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment