Monday, June 21, 2010

Watch Your Bearing

As I sat in the worship service last Sunday, I was momentarily distracted by some thoughts on post-Service-activities and, thank the Lord, I was able to pull out of that distraction. A verse came to mind: Deut 6:5 - and I reflected upon it. Doesn't it mean that my whole being is involved in loving God and consequently (and especially so), in worshipping Him?

Worship is hard work and straying thoughts are a real problem.

But I was thinking - while I ought to keep my mind focused upon the sermon (and in prayer, in self-reflection, etc), what about the rest of my being?

The whole being.

That's when I realised that there is more to look out for:

  1. If before people in authority (e.g. my boss) I take pains to watch my posture, I can sit (and stand) respectfully before the Lord.
  2. Since I can read music notation then I can put in effort to make sure I sing correctly before the Lord.
  3. As I am pretty adept at reading and speaking, I must actively participate in Responsive Reading before the Lord. 
And there's probably more...

Now a little word of caution - I must be wary of passing careless, unfounded judgement on others who do not follow my standards. This is something I'm prone to fall into.

No comments:

Post a Comment