Monday, March 22, 2010

Working Relationships (Part 1)

I’m going to begin writing about a matter that is close to my heart. It’s about conflicts in relationships and it’s going to be in maybe 3 parts. So here goes:

Everyone gets their share of conflicts in life… Conflicts are an inevitable part of life. I only need to open the Bible and I find plenty of examples of conflicts and instructions on conflict management. I’m even told by the Lord that conflict will come my way. (John 15:19) So we expect conflict to be part of the Christian life and we ought to be prepared to support one another when it hits.

And I believe that many Christians are aware of this. We are ready to stand by our suffering brethren, ready to bear their loads and bear it long we shall!
What about that other category of conflicts? You know… the one that seems to hurt a wee bit more than the usual World-Against-I type? The brother-against-brother type. Fellow members of the household of God at loggerheads with each other. How about that category? Yes, we have instruction concerning this.

Pretty clear stuff too ya?

Except this kind of conflict seems different. Feels different.

I think it’s like that because such conflicts are unexpected. After all, the world doesn’t listen to the authoritative Word of God so we can’t expect respite from them. But for Christians, are we not expected to be bound by the Word?

If the Word says, “love one another”, shouldn’t we strive towards it? If you are at loggerheads with a Christian brother and you know that you are causing him grief, how is he going to “[offer his] gift at the altar”? (Matt 5:23-24) If we are His children, how can we have “His love perfected in us”? (I Jn 4:12) Are we not guilty of “vain repetitions” if we do not forgive others their trespasses? (Matt 6:7-14) And we know that God judges the heart – If you claim to forgive but your actions do not follow, how are you one of the “doers of the Word”? (Jas 1:22)

I could go on and on but I don’t have to because the Bible does go on and on.

Sounds real serious no?

So the call is clear – we are to love one another and if there are divisions, then we must work towards reconciliation. I don’t think there is a need to spell out the specifics/applications because I think the words of our Saviour sum it all up in Matt 7:12 – “…whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them…”.

Eh. But I’m okay if the offensive-but-still-loved brother treats me the same way I’m treating him. I’m into giving the cold shoulder & complete indifference manoeuvre even if he’s beside me and I’m 101% fine if he returns the behaviour.

Ah… unfortunately, Christ says “others” not “offensive-but-still-loved brethren”. He means “others” as in your acquaintance/friend/best friend/BFF/pet/family… and no, you will not like it if your BFF treated you that way, neither would you like it any better if your pet dog treated you like that.

Oh, but one may cry out… “But you have to give some time for the fireworks to fizzle out right?” After all, Time Heals AllTM really does work, right?

Part 2 coming right up!

No comments:

Post a Comment